Sunday, April 26, 2009

Alana Hospital Stay:(

Most of you know that Alana was in the hospital this past week but don’t know why. Well, it because she was throwing up blood, yes I said BLOOD. It all started on Tuesday when Alana woke up she was off but couldn’t tell me what was wrong. I went ahead and took her to school but she cried when I left (SHE HAS NEVER DONE THAT BEFORE). After coming home and running, I just couldn’t get her little face when I walked out of her class room off my mind so I jumped in the car and went and got her. As, I walked in she seem OK, her teacher told me that she wasn’t herself. I knew I was right in coming to get her early. She fell asleep in the car on the way home, I moved her to her bed, and about 45 minutes later I heard her crying. I went in to check on her and she said, I need BIG HIGSS and KISS and then turned her head and throw-up all over me the bed, wall, with some even making it across the room. It was VERY VIOLENT. That evening she wasn’t great but never throw-up again not until Wednesday morning around 4:30am. She started crying, when I went in her room. I could see spots of stuff on her sheets and stuff all over face. In my own sleepy state I ask her if she had pooped and she starting crying say NO mommy, then realized it was blood. At first I thought she had a bloody nose and went to get some thing to clean it up, once I got her clean, I laid with her and a few minutes later she started throwing up everywhere. I ran and turn the light on and all I could see is Alana sitting in a pool of blood. I called John who told me to call the doctor. Well, I didn’t have time by the time I got Alana changed and moved to the couch I was cleaning up blood again in the living room. This happened a few more times, before I was able to call John back and tell him that she had done it again. By, now it was close to 7am. He told me to call the doctor (he was trying to figure out what ER he wanted me to take her in the mean time) I was able to get her into the doctor 45 minutes later. From there we went to the local Children’s Hospital where she spent two days on IV fluids. What they think happened is she busted a blood vessel in her esophagus. Which caused her to throw up blood. Her labs came back all out of whack, she was VERY dehydrated. It took a little over 24 hours for Alana to pee, that is how dehydrated she was.

  Alana is doing so much better now. She is still sleeping a ton it will take some time for her little body to rebound. She has lost a few pounds, so her clothes are hanging on her, I am sure it will come back over the next few weeks.  I pray this NEVER happens again. Every time Alana gets a stomach virus I am going to be on pins and needles.

 I have a few pictures of her when she was so sick but they make me sad so I am going just post the ones of her feeling better.

This is on Thursday afternoon about 30 hours of IV fluids she started coming back into her own. Her cousin Emily sent her this HAT. She loved it. Thanks Cousin Emily!!! 




I love this picture!! This is a sign that Cousin Emily and Will made her. my mom helped her hang it in her room. My mom fly out on Wednesday, with John in Residency and on call, I spent Wednesday morning by myself and you could say I was an emotional train wreck. He was able to be with us, that afternoon but not on Thursday. It was a god sent having my mom there. Alana was a bit of handful on Thursday. 




2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh Michelle, what a terrible ordeal! I am so sorry that you all had to go through this. I'm glad to hear Alana is feeling better!

Hansen Family said...

We are so happy Alana is home and feeling better! We hope to see you this week.